Saturday, May 9, 2009

A Tribute to My Mother

Tomorrow everyone will stop and spend time with their mothers and let them know how much they mean to them. But we really should do this every day. I know I don't tell her enough- but my mom means the world to me. I have no idea what I would do without her. I realize it even more now that I have my own little girl. I hope that one day she will find a best friend in me, like I found in my mom. So, as a tribute to my mom, here is a poem I wrote for her before my wedding and revised recently:

Mommy’s Hands

Mommy’s hands propped on her side
As she feels the kick of her baby inside
Mommy’s arms holding her baby girl
The minute she arrived in this world.
Mommy’s hands feeding and bathing
Dressing and hugging, rocking and playing.
Mommy’s fingers stitching the lace
Of her little girl’s dress for Easter Sunday

Mommy’s hands propped on her side
As she waits for her daughter to come home on time
Mommy’s arms hugging her baby girl
As she comes in yelling he’s ruined her world
Mommy’s hands wiping the tears in her eyes
As her daughter cries over some silly guy
Mommy’s finger stitching up the parts
Of her little girl’s freshly broken heart.

Mommy’s hands propped on her side
As she looks at her little girl, who today is a bride
Mommy’s arms holding her baby girl
And adjusting the veil over her dark brown curls
Mommy’s hands shaking as she zips
A wedding dress over her daughter’s hips
Mommy’s fingers stitching a pearl
That has fallen off the gown of her little girl

Mommy’s hands propped on her little girl’s side
As she feels the kick of her granddaughter inside.
Mommy’s arms holding her daughter’s baby girl
As she makes her entrance into this world.
Mommy’s hands wiping a single tear
As she remembers her little girl being born here.
For it was 23 years ago in this very place
That she first saw own her daughter’s face.

My mommy’s hands paved the way
And led to become the woman I am today.
My Mommy’s love gave me wings
And told me I could do unimaginable things.
My mommy’s strength held me together
When I thought things would never get better.

And as I hold my own little girl,
my only hope is that I can be.
At least half the mother to her,
That you have been to me.

Written for my Mommy- 12/23/06
Revised 12/14/08












I LOVE YOU MOMMY!!!!

0 comments: