Friday, February 12, 2010

There's SNOW Place Like Home!

These aren't scenes on the front of a Christmas card.




They are pictures from my yard!!! Can you believe it???

Today we all got to see A LOT of snow fall on South Alabama! Our winters are usually very mild. It's not unusual to have temperatures in the 70's this time of year. We have had a very cold winter and now this! So much for global warming!

I knew our forecast was for a "light dusting" or possibly 1-2 inches. So I was so excited when I woke up at 6:00 this morning. I ran to the window...but there was no snow. Just slushy rain. Around 6:20, it started turning into snow. So around 7:30, when the yard was looking like this....



I thought I should go ahead and get some pictures. Since we haven't seen any snow since 1993- this was pretty exciting.

So you can imagine how excited I was when an hour later, the yard looked like this:


It was coming down pretty heavy. It was so beautiful. Annistyn was really excited when she woke up and I took her to the window to see it.



Much to my surprise, it started getting heavier!


When it backed off a little, I took Annistyn out to play. We don't have a snow suit, or anywhere to buy one, so this is her layered make-shift snow outfit.

She didn't know what to think!





She had to check it out...



And roll in it...


Finley turned out to be a snow dog!



I couldn't keep him inside! I had to make him come inside so I could get the snow off him. He ran all over the yard, chased the birds, ate the snow, rolled in it, sat in it...



But ask him what happens when you stay out too long. You start looking like a Clydesdale horse!
I think I'll let him audition for the Budweiser commercial. What do you think?



We had to put him in a lukewarm bath several times today to get the icicles off his feet. It didn't stop him though.

When Michael came home from work at lunch, he was there to stay. The roads were already getting bad and nobody around here knows how to drive in snow. So our town pretty much shuts down.

He made a snowman and we went back out to play.







Annistyn just had to taste the snow...


In between snow time, we threw all her clothes and our mittens in front of the fireplace to dry.



When she napped, Michael and I went out to survey the snow. It had snowed pretty heavy all day and didn't stop until 4:00.

Our backyard, which had more trees, had a little over 4 inches in several places.



The front yard, with no trees, had over 5!



I took a picture of our house from the road...



Finley enjoyed it some more...



And after Annistyn woke up, I took her out one last time for the day...










She and Finley were both pretty tired tonight. We tried to enjoy it as much as possible because this is possibly a once in a lifetime event for all of us. It has never snowed this much here, not even in '93 (we got 3 inches then), so today was a nice surprise for all of us.

I knew there was a reason I haven't changed my flag by our front porch!!!!



Our day was SNOW much fun!!!
Hope yours was too!


Photobucket

2 comments:

The Mitchell's said...

Your pictures are great!!! I love the one of Annistyn leaning on the snow! Too cute!!

Brookeanne said...

That is so exciting! Too funny after you had just written to me about not having had snow since 1994 :). I still haven't taken Claire out in the snow... we might get some tomorrow. Perhaps we'll try it out as well! So thrilled for you guys that you had such an awesome day!